Main

February 07, 2007

The Rockrites CD Cover

I'm working on a CD cover for a good friend of mine, Gidon Shikler. His band name is "The Rockrites" and the album name is "Deeper Groove"... the record release party is this coming Feb 10th @ 9:30pm at the Mint in LA... should be a rockin' affair....

Anyways... I put together a website for him @ www.therockrites.com and did the poster illustration... I used Impact Marketing for the printing and they did a stellar job... had them run @ 11"x17" and UV coated on nice thick stock... came out super cool... Gidon and I were talking about doing the CD cover artwork and I thought it would be a great idea to hand print them with linoleum blocks... Here's where I'm at in the process:

deeperGrooveCover.jpg
Prepping the stinky brown-black ink

deeperGrooveCover (21).jpg
CD Covers that I blocked a few nights ago in blue getting ready for type work

deeperGrooveCover (11).jpg
Fresh cover laid out for printing

deeperGrooveCover (14).jpg
Getting the brayer inked

deeperGrooveCover (15).jpg
Inking the linoleum block for the cover's backplate

deeperGrooveCover (5).jpg
Got the linoleum on the cover and the baren ready to smash

deeperGrooveCover (16).jpg
Press, press, smash, mash.

deeperGrooveCover (17).jpg
Pull it!

deeperGrooveCover (6).jpg
Check it!

deeperGrooveCover (7).jpg
Get linoleum down for the front side.

deeperGrooveCover (8).jpg
Pull it, check it.

deeperGrooveCover (19).jpg
Grab 'em, move 'em.

deeperGrooveCover (10).jpg
Lay it out with the rest of the stash.

deeperGrooveCover (3).jpg
Stash.

deeperGrooveCover (4).jpg
Stash close-up.

deeperGrooveCover (2).jpg
Custom drying rack. What?

I'll try and get some finishing steps and post 'em later.

PART II - Linoleum block printing the Rockrites CD cover.

Later has arrived and I'm getting ready to roll out the colors for the CD covers.

linoCutProcess_round2_01.jpg
Prepping the new inks.

linoCutProcess_round2_02.jpg
Rollin' 'em out.

linoCutProcess_round2_03.jpg
Coral pink and yellow gradient inky goodness.

linoCutProcess_round2_04.jpg
Inking the blocks.

linoCutProcess_round2_05.jpg
Back plate printed.

linoCutProcess_round2_06.jpg
Both sides printed.

linoCutProcess_round2_07.jpg
New gradient colors.

linoCutProcess_round2_08.jpg
Just rolled out the backplate and was left with some lettering on the brayer.

I'm really stoked on the strange, rock-like textures that were created as the blocks were pulled up... totally unexpected... I guess I didn't know what to expect, really... For the record, I used water-based Speedball block printing inks from the online art-supply store, www.dickblick.com; I used black, light red, yellow, blue and white inks. For the linoleum, I used Dick Blick's"Blick's Golden-Cut Linoleum" and cut it with Speedball's linoleum cutting set.

I printed them on plain white gatefold CD covers that I got from http://www.sleevetown.com. Because the CD covers were glossy, however, I had to sand them down a bit to give the surface some texture to hold the ink... took a couple of hours, but was necessary. Next time, I think I'm going to seek out un-coated covers so I don't have the hassle.

Here are two finished covers I scanned the next day:

theRockritesDeeperGroove_Cover_001_sm.jpg

theRockritesDeeperGroove_Cover_009_sm.jpg

Enjoy!

December 28, 2006

eLabel Illustration

Before the eLabel shoot, David Ferrell and I scouted eLabel's studio space and building... I couldn't believe it... they had a space on the fourth or fifth floor... can't even remember... wasn't really important because once we hit the roof of the building, all bets were off... it was stunning... Downtown LA right in front of us, the 10 freeway right below us, the Fashion District behind us... the aesthetic was perfect...

David had this great idea about shooting a panorama from the rooftop, and doing it from pre-dawn to post-dusk, over the course of a single day. I thought it was a brilliant idea, and we did a test-shoot that day... it came out great...

Then, of course, not wanting to make it simple, David suggested we move the panorama slowly throughout the day to keep it interesting. "Ok, why not?" I thought. We worked out the steps forward and backward, made our calculations and decided to shoot a pano every two hours.

The intention was to use the panorama as a backdrop for an illustration for eLabel to use on their website, marketing, print, etc... The final site used a portion of the pano, but the entire piece, stitched together by Zack @ the collectiv came out insane. It needs to be cleaned up, but for what it is, its great.

elIllus_03.jpg

Here's a link to the panorama in its entirety:

Rooftop Panorama

So, with the panorama in mind, an illustration wasn't far behind.

I had been thinking about the whole idea of eLabel's deconstruction methods of rebuilding its clothes. I like the idea. Eric and his minions go out, harvest forgotten cloth, restitch it, repurpose it and make it anew. I love it. I love the ethos and the love that goes into it... you can really feel it when you're holding one of his pieces... So with the idea of recycling and repurposing in mind, I roughed out an illustration for the site.

elIllus_02.jpg

Here's a link to the complete illustration:

eLabel Illustration

Though it wasn't used, I think it was successful even for a brief moment. It wasn't what David and I had discussed exactly, and it needed to be beaten apart and put back together, but, unfortunately, I had a lot on my plate and had to let it go. Maybe I'll give it another go.